Friday, 2 April 2010

Ronald Searle

Having managed to crawl from under the mountain of storyboards I've been making during the preproduction of my grad film, I took a little trip into London last week to see Matt Jones give a talk on Artist and Cartoonist Ronald Searle at the Cartoon Museum.

The museum is currently hosting a collection of Searle's work, in particular his reportage work, as Searle himself entered his 10th decade last month! I love the quality of his line and how it all seems so simple and effortless yet the pictures are so layered and complex, and most importantly, so full of life. I can't really do his work justice in words but instead I can recommend the online tribute full of fantastic sketches and illustrations put together by Matt Jones
here.

When I got back from the talk I went through the folder of artwork I've been gathering up to help inspire the look of my film and lo and behold, Ronald Searle artwork!


I love the expression on the face of this character :)

It was so inspiring to see so much great work. I can now get back to storyboarding feeling fully recharged!

1 comment:

Matt J said...

Thanks! Good luck with your film.